Today was moving day and, of course, an adventure it was. Mind you, this was being done with Mitch having worked a night shift, so he was running on about 3 hours of sleep (he has another job tonight and the next).
My suggestion was to pack all our belongings, with the
exception of what we needed at night, into a box or 2, throw it in the back
seat of the Bull and unpack at our leisure.
Mitch had a different idea and brought everything into the CoW and put
things away – unfortunately, not in any kind of order. He just threw things in any empty space in
cabinets and drawers that he can find.
Not only is it that much more work to do now to get reorganized (I
admit, I’m the anal one here), but it also took up precious time.
We started packing at 11 and left the driveway at 2:30. First bump – got around the corner and the
truck wouldn’t move. Turned out that
somehow we were still in neutral, although I don’t know how we made it that
far. Went about another 2 blocks and it
just didn’t feel right. Heard a loud
bump and then it stopped again and we couldn’t get it started. Mitch jumped out and determined we ran over a
hairbrush. But in the process, he also
discovered that his flashers weren’t working on the CoW (something that should
always be checked before leaving anywhere!!!).
This was indicative of the power cords not being attached snugly, so not
only were the lights not working, but also the trailer brakes. So the fact that it stopped pulling must be a
safety feature. He checked all the
cables and plugs and everything worked just fine from that point on. But it was rather nerve-wracking to have the fear that we were stuck in the road only a few blocks from Fred's house.
Got to the campground ½ hour later. It is almost completely empty right now and
we shall enjoy the serenity until Labor Day weekend, when it will be very
crowded and noisy. It appeared to be a
small, tight space, but we were told the camp has someone that works for them
who helps folks back into their spots.
We asked for his help since I’m not able to help much right now, but he
wasn’t available for at least ½ hr.
Mitch tried to park it himself, getting in and out of the truck every
few inches. Forty-five minutes later he
was still trying to back in, when help finally arrived. I was amazed at how quickly and easily this
guy backed it in – like steering a car.
He admitted that he’s been driving tractor trailers and RVs for the past
40 years and he backs these things in 20 times a day, so he has a LOT of
experience!
Next bump -- Mitch was inside the CoW, getting things ready to hookup (actually, I'm not sure what he was doing in there). He was in the bedroom and somehow the bedroom door slipped closed. The slide was still in, resulting in his getting locked in for a while. He managed to get out, but only after breaking the door!!! Hopefully it's not really broken but just severely off the track and he'll be able to fix it. I sure hope so because the position it's in blocks the handrail by the steps leading up to the bedroom, something I need to hold on to.
Finally, everything was hooked up (we have water, 50 amp electric, sewer and cable tv at the site). I tried to put things away and organize but I was quickly reminded of my limitations, so I landed up doing as much (little) as I could and sitting on the couch until he was done. At this point, a deep depression set in, especially since Mitch keeps forgetting my limitations as well and expects me to do things or just forgets to do things for me. Depression due to not being able to do all the things I want to do -- the SIMPLE things that involve bending. I know, I know -- this too shall pass. It was only a few weeks ago when I was crying for some kind of normalcy and wishing my limited movements would at least be a result of healing as opposed to just not wanting to dislocate the hip again. And that day has arrived. And so, too, will I be able to do more things. Like take a shower. I want to take one tonight, but Mitch is gone and I will not attempt that alone in the RV, especially since we want to put down the non-skid stuff and a bar to provide more stability to the shower seat.
Oh well. Tomorrow is another day and Mitch will be here to help organize (I know I'll be driving him absolutely crazy with the small stuff, but this is home and I want it to be just so). The therapist will come out to the RV to work with me here as well.
Deep breaths! Your frustrations are more than reasonable but you need to get a handle on them which I know you are aware. Luckily, I am rarely under-the-weather because I react just like you but I have two helpers, my husband and my adult son with DS. Think double! And, my husband cooking is really bad, just the thought of eating it compels one to quickly recover! And, seriously, fold the towels in thirds because otherwise they won't fit in the cabinet! I am sure that Mitch understands that you are frustrated and is cutting you some slack and I'm glad he has found work even if it is 3rd shift as my husband is working 3rd shift right now, yuck but the money is good. Now, depressed? Not with lies ahead for you once you get past all of this. They sometimes say that you shouldn't wish away today by always looking to the future but sometimes, you just have to so that you make it another day. You're coming along.
ReplyDelete