Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 27 of the Journey - Lynn Haven, FL

Yet another instance of life not going according to plan.  I have to trust that things happen when and why they do for a reason.  Only God knows that reason, but all the same, I need to have faith that there IS a reason.

I was supposed to have the revision surgery tomorrow to fix my hip.  Was given a time to be at the hospital at 5:00 am.  First sign was a call that since I couldn't provide a urine sample at the lab during the pre-op intake, I would need to have it done at the hospital by catheter.  They can't do the surgery until the results are in, so that would mean a delay to later in the day.  Disappointed, but I could live with that.

A few hours later I got a call from the doctor.  He wanted to see the bed sore again, as he was pretty certain that unless it was 100% healed, it was too risky to operate due to the potential for infection.  I was not at all happy to hear that, as I want this nightmare over already.  But I went to his office.  He felt it was healed enough that he would take the risk if I absolutely insisted, but he gave me a 15 minute lecture spelling out how bad the risks of infection would be and if he did proceed, it was still at a great risk.  I have to trust his judgement.

In addition, my labs came back showing my iron level so low that he said it was "transfusion level low".  He wants me to see a hematologist to determine the cause.  I've had low iron for a long time and confess I haven't taken my iron pills since I was last in the RV, but it shouldn't have dropped that low.  I just hope that won't be an issue to postpone surgery as well.

Again, I need to give thanks to my dear, dear family for giving me a safe and loving place to stay during this ordeal.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the delete.
      I am not at all surprised that the surgeon doesn't want to go ahead with surgery. The risk of an infection in that new joint is just too high. Believe me you do not want an infected artificial hip joint. The treatment involves IV antibiotics, usually two, for a minimum of six weeks.
      I know you've got to be at the end of your rope, but just tie and knot and hang on. A quart of ice cream can't hurt either!!
      ((((HUGE HUG))))
      Carol

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.