Sunday, December 11, 2016

We're in Iowa - Day 902 (Yr 3, Day 169)

Iowa, LA

Louisiana, that is!  No, we didn't take a wrong turn.

First, because we kept missing our turns and the roads around NOLA are horrendous, not marked, and barely enough room to turn the truck around, let around the tow, we decided to do a practice run to the highway first, to make sure we didn't pass the entrance.  We did that at 9:00 and pulled out of the campground at 10:30.  I was very impressed that it took Mitch only about 5 minutes to hitch up (and nowadays, he does it by himself; I stay inside).

Mitch did all the driving today - all 200 miles worth, as I feel like he did last week.  All the coughing is making me very dizzy and lightheaded and unsafe to drive.  We were only planning to go about 114 to the first rest area, which was in Atchfayala, LA.  We did stop there; even opened the slides and took a nap for a little over an hour.  I was going to make lunch (we had both only eaten a piece of toast at 9 am, and it was now after 2).  Mitch had this bad hankering to eat out.  We know that many TA Travel Centers have a full service restaurant and we discovered that there was one only about 20 miles away, so that's where we headed.  We were kind of hoping there'd be a good place to park there overnight, as the next rest area was 60 miles further.  There really wasn't anywhere good to park, and after lunch (pancakes for Mitch, omelet for me), he felt that he could drive the 60 miles.

We got on the road, and after only about 5 miles he started to get very tired.  We found that there were 2 truck stops at an exit about 10 miles away (Loves and Pilot), so we decided to take our chances.  We did find something at Loves.  Not real great, but we're at the end of a row and able to open the slides, which is all that really matters.

We are now 177  miles from our final destination of Houston.  I guess seeing how we both feel will determine if we push ourselves to arrive tomorrow, or split it up into 2 days.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow and Tuesdsay which means it'll be a difficult drive, so I think breaking it up makes more sense.  Not to mention I have work to do.  So we shall see.  Will keep you posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.