Norcross, GA
On Friday, we made the 100 mile trip to Norcross, GA to the campground we wanted to stay in, which is 7 miles from the shul. I can't say it's a really nice place, but it meets our needs as a place to park and have hookups. Out of the approx. 150 sites, only about 25 are set aside for short termers (14 days or less); the rest are long term and permanent residents (who live in RVs: some nice, some very run down).There was a lot of construction and traffic, especially as we got closer to this area. Norcross is a suburb of Atlanta and only about 15 miles from the city itself. I wish we had more time to spend in the area as there are lots of things I'd love to visit.
But I digress... we pulled out of the rest area around 8:00 and arrived at the campground at 10. I hoped to get set up and working as quickly as possible, but we had a bit of a diversion: a piece of wood that was being used as a wedge to hold the bedroom door open (the lock broke) came out and got stuck under the slideout. It took almost an hour for Mitch to finally get it out. Thankfully we made an extra challah last week and froze it, so we didn't have to worry about baking one. Once settled in, I did some laundry and client work. Mitch ran out to the store for a few groceries.
Today we attended services at Chabad of Gwinett, which were very, very lovely and inspiring. Nice congregation, although most of the attendees today were Israeli and tended to lapse into Hebrew conversation which we couldn't follow.
When Shabbat was over, Mitch had discovered one of his favorite places -- Fry's Electronics, which in his words is "geek paradise." Basically it's a ginormous store filled with all kinds of electronics, from appliances to cables, to tvs, audio, visual, all kinds of toys, etc. He said that the one he visited in CA years ago had a space ship in the center of the store, and he was really looking forward to going there tonight to show it off to me. Unfortunately, there was only a really huge, very nice cafe in the center of the store, and being that I am the opposite of a geek, I can't say I was wow'ed that much. Yes, I was impressed by how large the store was, but I really don't get turned on by electronics. Sorry Mitch. I'm sure you don't get excited when I shop for clothes.
A word about the area where Fry's was located. It was about 7 miles away in Duluth (Georgia, not Minnesota). I've seen shopping centers and malls - heck knows there are so many in Raleigh/Cary. But you just won't believe the enormity of these shopping malls. Not only one after the other, but the sizes of all the stores were humungous. Also mostly very high end stores. Just unbelievable. Great place to visit if you like shopping in those kinds of places (personally, I prefer the quaint downtown areas and mom & pop stores).
Anyway, we need to hit the road tomorrow (Sunday) and still don't know if we're heading to Houston or Gatlinburg. Hopefully we'll have an answer in the morning.
Sounds like exciting times!
ReplyDelete