Not only am I wearing a long sleeve shirt today, but we had to put the heat on!!! (we're using the electric fireplace rather than the gas furnace and it's doing a wonderful job). I can't believe it's only been 2 days since I was still wearing shorts and flip flops! It's also been a steady, miserable rain all day. I was hoping to take a nice walk around, but it's definitely not the day for that.
I am gearing up now for Rosh Hashanah. Like Shabbat, we shut off the world so I will not be online again until Saturday night (family: you know the signal to reach us in an emergency to answer the phone). Today I am doing the cooking. Looking forward to having Jess, Shana and Jared over for a holiday meal tomorrow evening. Since I can't light the stove to warm up the food, it's going to mostly cold salads (potato, egg, tuna, greens with pomegranate & oranges, hummus) plus matza ball soup (kept warm in the crock pot). Of course, apples dipped in honey.
We don't like to drive on Shabbat or the High Holidays but unfortunately we had to choose to do so this time. Originally we were going to bring our home to the parking lot where services are being held (we made arrangements in advance; they said they had plenty of room in the far back end and since we can be fully self contained, it would have been great). We would leave today and return after services on Friday (ok, still sort of breaking the rules as holiday isn't over until sundown and goes right into Shabbat). However, the campground we're staying at (NC State Fairgrounds) is expecting to be completely filled this weekend due to a HUGE football game plus a few other large events in the area. This place does not accept reservations, even if we paid for the spot in advance. If we leave, there is no guarantee we'll have a place to return to on Friday. The next closest places are about 30 miles away, which is too far to travel during the holidays. So we decided not to take the risk of not having a place to stay. Not to mention that services aren't over until 2:00 on Friday, and we'd have to back up and set up from scratch again and prepare for Shabbat as well. That would be way too stressful. Hopefully God will understand and forgive our transgression here.
L'Shana Tova!
I find the dialogue about your religion interesting as I am totally unfamiliar with it. In today's world, I think it is difficult for anyone of any religion to stick steadfast to the laws. Most holidays now just mean a sale at the big box store to most people. : (
ReplyDelete