Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Observing the birds - Day 1001 (Year 3, Day 269)

Lexington, NC

This is the 2nd morning I have woken up to see the sun rise over the lake (the first day, there was also a light mist rising up from the water).  Days and campgrounds like this make the travel all worthwhile and makes me forget about all the dumps we occasionally end up in.

Today I was observing the behavior of the many species of birds around here, although I've only been able to identify a small handful.  In the early morning, the large, black ravens take over the trees and campground.  They fly around (gracefully, with large wing spans like hawks) for a few minutes, then perch on the fences, benches, and tree limbs, all facing the water.  This lasts for about 2 hours.  It gets quiet and then about an hour later, the nuthatches and eastern bluejays (small, cute little things) take up residence in the trees, fences, ground and rooftops.  They don't flock so you really have to watch to find them.  Later in the afternoon come the water fowl - mostly the ducks and gulls, although yesterday I saw a crane sitting on the edge of the dock.  Steve asked me if we heard the owls yet, but we haven't.  Will need to keep an ear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.