Lexington, NC
Wow, can you believe today is day 1,000 that we've been living the RV full-timers lifestyle?!!! Some days it feels like this is all we've ever done, and some days it feels like just yesterday that we hit the road. Despite the many ups and downs, I'm ready to go at least another 1,000 days. I don't necessarily enjoy the travel from point A to B (although I probably would a lot more if we could travel where and when we wanted, at our own pace. It would be great if we passed a sign along the highway for an interesting attraction and could be serendipitous about it: "hey, let's stop there and explore the area for a little while." However, once we get to a place and settle in, I do enjoy having different views out my window and "back yard," meeting new people and exploring the areas, especially the small towns. Although we haven't been to the desert yet, I have an affinity for water (being a Pisces, I suppose) and really love being near the beach or on a lake, like we are now. I could definitely see myself settling down full time near the edge of a lake.I'm still really enjoying the serenity and quietness of this place. There are quite a lot of empty trailers/RVs here. Clearly it's a place where people park their rigs for the year and most likely return during the summer season. In other words, as it gets closer to Memorial Day, I'm sure people will be returning and this place will get busier and noisier and the lake will be packed with boats (they do rent boats here, including pontoons, and I'm hoping we'll have a chance to do that before we leave).
I've seen and heard quite a lot of different kinds of birds here and am trying to learn to identify them. I identified a nuthatcher and Eastern bluebird, along with some crows, ducks, geese and a variety of other water fowl. There was a very elegant crane sitting on the dock this morning. I captured a photo, but not having a good zoom lens, this is the best I could do (he's at the edge of the pier. He was a lot closer through my eyes).
Yesterday, we needed some groceries and such, and adventured off to civilization, which is about 10 miles away. We found the downtown area, which is another very quaint, small town. I'm hoping we can return on Sunday with our urb-e's to explore further. Although "civilized," Lexington is still a very small town and despite having a Walmart, Lowes, and CVS, it's not a major big box town, which is very nice. Not a lot of restaurants; BBQ is big, big, big here so the several mom & pop places around are off limits to us. Someone did recommend a nice seafood place 2 towns over, so if we're desperate, we may venture out there.
Last night, we had visitors: Steve and Diane, who we met in one of my RV forums (RVillage.com). They live in the area, are Chapter leaders of the local Escapees club and do a bit of traveling in their RV. They saw my post that I arrived in the area, so they dropped by for a visit of about an hour. Very lovely people! They own a home on the lake and invited us to come over some time, maybe even for a ride on their pontoon boat (which isn't season ready yet). I hope we're still around when it is. Either way, I'd enjoy hanging out on their deck on the lake.
Today Mitch went for his kickoff meeting, so hopefully we'll learn if he can work 4 10-hour days and get a gauge of how long we might be here. I'm fine to stay through the summer or fall, as long as we can get the rig level! Our jacks are maxed out and we're still a little bit tilted. Mitch will be buying more wood on the way home to see if we can raise it a little more. (We're parked on a slope).

1000 days! Yahoo, congrats!!
ReplyDelete