Pompano Beach, FL
It was sort of a melancholy day today. We leave this campground tomorrow morning, so we started the outdoor checklist (checking the tire pressure, battery level, making sure antenna on roof is tight) plus some indoor stuff like packing away the chatchkes and ceramic dishes. We'll do the rest tomorrow, as we don't have to leave until 11 and we're only going about 20 miles away (more about that in tomorrow's post).I also decided to visit my Aunt Bebe (mother's sister) who is in a nursing home in Sunrise, FL, about 20 miles from where we are. She is in the advanced stages of Alzheimers. The last time I saw her, about 10 years ago, although she still had all her physical faculties, she didn't remember me and couldn't remember things for more than a minute or 2. This time around, she looked almost catatonic, although a few times it seemed like she was looking right through me. I'd like to think that somewhere deep in her soul she knew I was there. She is 89 (looks like 109) and I'm pretty certain I will not have the chance to see her again, so this was kind of my last goodbye and to thank her for all the sacrifices she made in her life for my family when my mother was dying of cancer.
We also got to see Lisa one last time before we hit the road. She lives about 2 blocks from the beach so we took a walk down to the ocean (it was 75 degrees and sunny. Have I mentioned how grateful I am not to be in snow country?! Yes, I know I did about 1000 times). Here we are with the ocean wind blowing our hair, and reminiscing about growing up in Far Rockaway, near the beach.
![]() |
Me and Lisa Morgan Rico (friend from HS) |


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.