Friday, January 2, 2015

Campground photos, Savannah skyline - Yr 1, Day 193

Hardeeville, SC (near Savannah, GA)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!  Yesterday (Jan. 1st) was spent continuing on the hair-pulling job I was working on all week (see yesterday's post).  I started working on it at 9am, and other than a walk we took in the afternoon, finally finished up at midnight! Hey, at least it's good pay, and the client was well aware of how much trouble this would be (of course, he didn't tell me, but I guess he was willing to pay whatever it took to fix it all up).  I still have work for him, and another deadline for my other client on Monday, but this is all manageable now.

So we took a walk around the campground yesterday.  This is a very simple, no-frills park but it is for RV's only -- no permanent structures / mobile homes.  It is very quiet and serene.  Whereas in our last place in Myrtle Beach, I liked to stand by the beach and listen to the roar of the ocean, here I was able to listen to the sound of complete and utter silence, with the exception of an occasional bird call (which was then broken by the sound of a fire cracker in the distance).  Although the sites and roads are gravel, there is a lot of land that was very soft dirt - recently dried.  I can imagine this place is a total mud hole when it rains (which we'll discover over the weekend).  There are numerous little foot bridges all over the property which go over little ponds (some have tiny fish in them).  There was a nice little gazebo over a pond.  I took a bunch of pictures:


This is a view from my dining room window





Trees reflecting in the pond

The other day I posted about the depressing skyline entering Savannah.  Below are 2 photos I took from the truck:



Tonight starts Shabbat.  The closest synagogues are in the downtown area and since we discovered that parking will be very difficult (we'll need to park at Hutchinson Island and take a ferry across the river - not something we would do on Shabbat) we'll stay home this week and next.   Later today we will go in the other direction, away from Savannah towards Bluffton / Hilton Head Island where there may be other supermarkets and stores.  This is the most rural location we've been in so far.  We're not used to not having Walmarts, Targets and lots of strip malls within a few miles.  Or even just a local store or gas station.  There's nothing here for at least 5 miles!  The jury is still out whether this is a good or bad thing.  For now, just a different experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.