Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Island -Yr 1, Day 303

Pigeon Forge, TN

First, I have to admit that I'm not really adjusting well to redefining my work hours (recall, since my work is project and not time oriented, I can choose to work whenever I want, as long as I get the work done.  I found myself still working regular business hours and therefore not getting out as much to enjoy my surroundings, except to take a few short walks around the campground.  I wanted to change this).  I had a client conference call from 10-11:00 but I decided that we would go out and enjoy the day for a few hours and then I would do my work in the late afternoon and into the night if necessary.  We returned at 4 and I worked until 8:30.  I confess I did not like that.  I think I've begun to look forward to the end of the day, having a glass of wine or drink and relaxing - either watching movies or sitting outside with a campfire or just vegging out - decompressing.  I don't like using the evening and night to work!!!  That being said, I guess I'll just need to figure out a good routine.  We have the rally next week and one of my clients already warned me that the week will be crushing as his book launches the following week and everything we've been working on for the past few months has to be finalized.  Obviously, next week I'll need to make some tough choices: give up some workshops, give up social and fun time or give up the evenings (no, give up working is sadly not an option!).

Anyway, we had a few places to go yesterday: there's an RV supply store down the road that is going out of business and everything is 50% off, so we wanted to see if there was anything we could stock up on (we saved about $80).  Mitch also had a 1/2 off re-ride ticket for the Alpine coaster (across the street from the RV place) so we went back there (I was still too chicken to ride).  We also needed a few items from Dollar Tree, which is next to The Island at Pigeon Forge, and since we missed going to The Island the other day, we decide to go check it out.  Below is our Island adventure.

The Island reminds me very much of Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach, with big chain and mom & pop tourist-type stores and restaurants.  They just opened a Paula Deen restaurant here, and she was present, signing autographs (we had no desire to see her).

Naturally, I had to make this one of my stops (more free tasting).  We bought a jar of moonshine soaked marachino cherries.  It tasted really great in a glass of Bailey's!!!


The Wheel, which is the same as the one in Myrtle Beach, except here you see views of the mountains instead of the ocean:


Although I've been talking about going on it, at the last minute I decided to be cheap ($15/ticket).  I'm sure the view of the mountains would have been spectacular but I decided to put my money elsewhere, such as here:


Inside the maze (really, really cool!!!)

Mitch was standing NEXT to me!!!

Mitch in his 3D glasses - made the maze more challenging


The park also had a lovely fountain, which ran a synchronized show every 1/2 hour.  Photo and video clip.  It must be really awesome at night when you can see all the different colors.


Some photos of the "street" (walking areas between stores):








And lastly, you meet all kinds.  We thought this lady had a baby in her stroller.  Sure looked like a pig to me (later she was walking it on a leash):


No plans for Shabbat except the usual when alone here.  Rain is in the forecast so we probably won't get to pray or sit outside.  Sunday we leave for the rally site in Sevierville, which is 5 miles down the road (but it will still take several hours to pack up, hitch up, unhitch and unpack).  Looking forward to meeting old and new friends there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.