Dillon, SC
Recall that yesterday the (jello) plans were that we didn't really have any plans for where we were going to settle down. Our destination for landing on Friday and spending Shabbat was a nice campground near the SC/NC border and 150 miles from Raleigh. This was a 250 mile drive from Townsend, GA and we didn't want to drive that much, but rather than try to find a place, we decided we would just wing it and either find a nearby campground or Walmart when we started to get tired, and if we could make it all the way, that would be an added bonus. Well, we did make it!!! I actually drove 185 miles and Mitch did the last 65. It was pretty much free sailing on I-95 (going 70mph most of the way). We left the campground at 8:45 and arrived in Dillon at 2:30.We stopped 3 times along the way - first time was at a truck stop that had repair facilities. We discovered yet another problem as a result of Horizon Coach. They installed extension valves on the inner tires of the truck, and those valves were leaking, causing the tire pressure to decrease. We decided to have it looked at at the first place we could bring it. Did I mention I HATE truck stops??? I am very intimidated by those big semis and feel out of place as well, like it's their space, not mine. Turns out this place did not have the proper equipment and we'd have to unhitch anyway. We decided the leak wasn't bad enough and that we would take the truck to a tire place once we reached our weekend destination (we also have an electronic tire monitoring system, so if it got too low, an alarm would go off and we'd fill it with more air. This did not happen, so the leak was very slow). The other 2 stops were nice rest areas to go to the bathroom and stretch our legs. At one of them (12:30) we sat at a picnic bench and ate some grapes.
The campground is also very nice with huge, pull through sites and a nice lake. Not quite as nice as yesterday's, but certainly much nicer than the crowded resort. We didn't really have time to walk around (by the time we settled into the spot, it was 4:00 and we needed to find a tire place, which we did. It was a no-brainer: it took 15 minutes and they didn't even charge us!), so I'll do that tomorrow and take some photos as well. I'm hoping time will allow me to go to the lake and break out the fishing pole again. I like the sign in the office: "I came, I cast, I kicked some bass."
As for Mitch, he has another problem to try to fix. After he installed the new water pump, the water heater is not working. Not sure if it's a new problem or something got loose or disconnected. At least we're close enough to our final destination (only 1 day's drive), so he can always work on it on Sunday if necessary. I had also forgotten what the drive was like the last time we came through GA and SC -- the BUGS!!! The rig needs a good cleaning again. At least they're not the love bugs this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.