Townsend, GA
We hit the road at 8:45 and arrived at the campground about 1:00, having taken 2 stops totaling about an hour. Townsend is about halfway between Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA.One of the places we stopped was the GA Welcome Center (very nice place, although they don't give out free samples like the FL one did of citrus juice!). A welcome center basically gives a lot of tourist information about things to do in the state. I found this sculpture outside very interesting (it's a torpedo):
![]() |
Mitch playing Dr. Strangelove |
It seems to be a very small place, but it only looks that way because the design is like 2 loops separated by trees and that all go around a lake. The lake is in our backyard (where we can catch bass and any number of other fish, although we were warned that there's so much live bait in the lake, the fish won't be interested in our lures). Surrounding the lake by our site is a lovely wooden swing bench (complete with cup holders!) and a pretty fountain (I took a video because the sound was so sweet). This is by far one of the most relaxing places I've been to in a while. As I said, I wish we were staying longer to really enjoy it.
The lake & swing outside our front door:
The fountain (note the cute little sculpture of a squirrel on the table!)
The sound of the fountain:
There's the rec center:
Nice sized sites as well:
The rec center was very large and extremely well equipped with great, comfortable seating, large screen tv and lending library of books, magazines, DVDs, a pool table, cards, games & puzzles -- enough to keep anyone busy for hours and hours. After settling down, Mitch and I played some billiards there.
One thing we discovered when Mitch was checking the tire pressure is that the truck seems to be losing pressure. We had Horizon Coach (see previous entries: NOT a place I recommend) install valves so we could reach the inner tires. They did not install them correctly and the tires are losing air. We will need to go to a local mechanic in the morning to have them tighten it, which means unhitching and hitching up again. Lots of time wasted.
We don't have a place to stay tomorrow either. We do have a place in Dillon, SC to spend Shabbat (it's near the SC/NC border), but it's 250 miles away so I doubt we'll be able to make it there tomorrow, although we may attempt it. We're going to play it by ear -- when we feel we've had enough driving, we'll either find a local Walmart or campground.






This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete