Williamsburg, VA
As you know, as of Monday, Mitch started traveling 120 miles extra per day to his maps.Yesterday (Wednesday), the truck broke down again! It started losing power and then just petered out. Fortunately, he was able to get to the shoulder on time (interestingly, a huge tractor trailer pulled up behind him and stayed there for a little while. As the driver didn't get out, it's unclear whether he needed the same stretch of road for his own pullover, or if he was there to lend some protection!). Not a clue what it is this time, but could have to do with the high pressure fuel pump that was replaced 2 years ago (still under warranty).
Mitch was right outside of Richmond, about 45 miles away but chose to pay the extra cost and get towed to Colonial Truck & Trailer, the mechanic we've been using and are very happy with (as opposed to being towed to the closest facility in Richmond where he neither knew anyone and would have to figure out a way to get back home, how to get to work and how to pick up the truck when ready). He picked up a load of groceries before heading home at 3:30 (before the breakdown). Finally walked in the door at 7:30 pm.
Now here's the fire part -- last time they gave us a little pickup as a loaner to use. We asked if they would have something again this time, and yes they did, but it was a Saturn, not a truck. Sure, that would be fine; Mitch would just need to put his huge gas tank in the back seat. What they didn't mention was that this was a stick shift (manual transmission). Now, to those of you who have driven one, it's no big deal. But Mitch (and I) have never driven one before. There was no one around at the mechanics (they left the keys for him under the mat in the car) to even show him what to do. Fortunately, he knew the general concept, but it still stalled quite a number of times (personally, I don't think I could ever get the coordination required to use both feet). Today his biggest challenge is stopping for red lights and making left turns. He said it was easier and safer for him to walk across an 8 lane highway than try to drive across and stall.
What really amazed me was Mitch's attitude when he got home. I'd be shaking, yelling, and overly wound-up. He just kind of shrugged it off and said "it could have been a lot worse." And of course he's right. At least he has a loaner car, even if it's one he had to be thrown into the fire to learn how to drive.
On a completely different note... it was a nice day yesterday and I wanted to take a walk. I decided that I might do a bit better, especially around this terrain, if I had a walking/hiking stick. I chose to walk to the back section of the park, into the start of the nature trail where there are a lot of dead trees and fallen branches, to see if I could find anything. Lo and behold! - there was one very perfect one laying right there with my name on it (metaphorically). It will be even more perfect when I remove the excess bark, sand it down and lacquer it. Anyway, having this walking stick, I started walking into the nature trail which leads to the other campground, about a mile away up the mountain. Not a lot of pretty scenery to look at though - only bare or dead or fallen trees. I was hoping to spot some deer but only saw and heard some crows. I got about 1000 feet up the trail and then realized it was probably not a good idea to go it alone (not knowing anything about this trail) and that I should have some water with me, especially since my throat was already starting to feel dry.
However, the walk did leave me with the feeling of really wanting to do this again. I think I'll be perfectly safe as long as I take my time and go slowly, use the stick, and take water and my phone. And I would plan on asking one of the guys in the office to give me a ride back to the site. Now I just need to get over my fear of going it alone. They always close the trail after it rains since it gets very muddy and dangerously slippery. So far it's been pretty dry, so if I'm gonna do it, I should do it within the next few days. I'd wait until Saturday and go with Mitch but then we can't get a ride back (being Shabbat when we're not supposed to ride; we only break the rules to travel to and from synagogue). As I'm writing this, I'm coming up with all kinds of excuses in my mind. It's gorgeous outside right now - I am going out for a walk now and taking my walking stick. Let's see where that leads me....
Hopefully the truck repair will still be under warranty. Nice that you got out a bit. Please remember to ask the office ahead of time about the trail and ALWAYS let someone know where you are going, what time you left and when you expect to be back. Don't go too far. It's easy to overestimate your skill and get too tired to get back. BUT, HAVE FUN!!! Bring plenty of water your camera, cell phone and a small first aid kit.
ReplyDelete