Friday, April 13, 2018

I did it!!! Day 1398 (Year 4, Day 304)

Williamsburg, VA

First, about the truck.  Mitch did get it back yesterday so he only had to suffer one day with the stick shift loaner.  Turned out to be the bad sensor to the fuel pump, which the first mechanic (who turned us away after taking 2 weeks to order the part) had diagnosed.  So hopefully that's it for a while.

I did it -- I took the hike on the nature trail, up the mountain, to the main campground (I was going to attempt it yesterday but I chickened out).  I took my hiking stick and 2 bottles of water.  This was not a cardio outing my any stretch of the imagination, as I took it very slowly, lots of little baby steps and lots of resting.  Since I have arthritis and bursitis in my hip, walking any short distance is difficult, thus the need to go slow and rest.  If anything, this is hopefully good strengthening exercise for my leg.

Many, many years ago, while living in NJ, we did a nature hike in the mountains but the only way to follow the trail was with a map, a compass, and watching for marks on the trees.  This was nothing even close, as there was a very clear cut path; mostly dirt but some areas had gravel (one could also see recent bike tracks).  But there was no way to get lost on it.  Although it was uphill all the way, I suppose by going so slowly, it didn't feel as bad as I expected.  I also took 2 Aleve before I set off to help diminish the inflammation and pain.

It wasn't a very scenic walk but I really did enjoy the silence broken only by various bird songs.  There were a few new ones that I hadn't heard before and I wish I could have identified them.  I did see something bright red fly by, but it was too far away to get a good look.  With a good set of binoculars, it could be a great birding area.  I also did meet a gentleman and his dog walking the trail (he made it back and forth by the time I made it forth!)  I found the other campground to be so much nicer - more resort-y - than this secluded section.  They have a big, beautiful, heated pool,  which is actually open now.

I'm proud that I forced myself to go beyond my comfort zone and attempt this hike.  But I was way too tired to make the trek back.  I went to the office and asked one of the guys for a ride back to my site.  They were very busy there and although they obliged in a sweet manner, I'm sure they were not that happy about it.  I promised not to do that again unless I can either walk back myself or time it so that Mitch can come and get me (I can probably hike back myself if I take a bit more time to rest).

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be like today's: sunny and about 85 degrees** (tomorrow is Shabbat).  The plan is that Mitch and are are going to hike up tomorrow, taking a backpack filled with water, food, towels,  flip-flops and other goodies, and spend most of the day at the pool.  After several hours, we should be able to hike back (which will be downhill anyway).

** Just yesterday morning, I had the fireplace and my space heater on, and the thermostat set to 74.  Today I put the space heater away for the season and turned the air conditioning on!  Did we go straight from winter to summer overnight?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.