Augusta, GA
Having really lovely weather here so far, although this morning I had to put the heat on and wear 2 long sleeved layers again (it was 42 degrees). Of course, an hour later, it was 64! Supposed to be about 90 in a few days. I do wish this was a resort-type campground with a pool. Oh well. At least I have air conditioning (which, please G-d, will work all summer).This place was really hopping on Friday. We went from about 50% capacity to nearly 99%. I was told there was nothing special going on in the area, just a nice weekend when a lot of weekenders go camping. Yesterday and today I am watching many of them leave. I am rather curious, however, what brings folks here for weekend camping. Other than the Masters golf tournament which took place a few weeks ago, there really aren't a lot of touristy things (or much of anything) to do in the area.
We are once again in an area where there is a Chabad synagogue within travel distance (about 10 miles away). We went there on Saturday and there was a bat mitzvah. We knew it would be a bit challenging meeting people because we wouldn't know who were the "regulars" and who were family guests, and likewise, the regulars wouldn't know we were new versus guests. Interestingly, we did meet a few regulars and were welcomed by their "Southern hospitality." It was a very pleasant experience.
Next week, the rabbi's son is having his bar mitzvah, so it may once again be a big event rather than a small, informal Shabbat service. But I'm sure that at some point we will get to meet the regular crowd alone and start forming friendships.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.