Marion, NC
Not a drive I really enjoyed. It was only about 40 miles, but 10 of them were down a 6% grade (trucks limited to 35 mph with 3 runaway ramsp on it -- and you're not supposed to use your brakes!), and the next 10 was on a 1 lane, winding road, also with many hills. We took it real slow, and at once point we could see about 14 cars lined up behind us - no doubt pretty pissed off that they couldn't pass us! Too bad, though. We do what we need to feel safe.Anyway, the reason for our travels (I'm sure I mentioned it in previous posts) was to return to the repair facility that replaced our slide back in May. There was other work to be done, such as replacing the gray tank and figuring out why the generator doesn't work (probably a loose wire somewhere). We were waiting and waiting for the parts for the gray tank, and after 1-1/2 months in Raleigh, staying with the kids and in hotels, we decided enough was enough. We knew Mitch's job would take us to Asheville (40 miles away) at the end of the summer, so we told them we'd take the rig back and return when the parts came in (recall the story -- the day we were going to pick it up, we had the blow out on the truck, which put that in the shop for another 2 months. The RV place was kind enough to deliver the rig to us in Raleigh at no charge).
Of course, the backing up was, as always, a nightmare. I wonder if we'll ever get the hang of this! It's a large campground, the sites are huge, it is almost empty, so it's almost like trying to park in a parking lot. Three people offered to help, and we finally agreed, after an hour and a half of trying ourselves, to let them. One of them was a truck driver, but he confessed that it's much harder to guide someone in then it is to do it himself (Mitch, although he accepted the help to guide him, would not relinquish the driver's seat).
They need 2 days to work on it, and they didn't have 2 consecutive days, so the plan is Monday and Wednesday. They told us we'd be able to stay in the rig during that time, but honestly I don't see how that's possible, especially if they're working on the tank (we won't have any place for the water from the sink or shower to go), unless they can finish that all in one day. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Mitch will commute the 40 miles into Asheville and I will set up shop in the customer lounge.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.