Raleigh, NC
We're grateful for the 10 days we were able to stay with our daughter and son-in-law, but it was time to let them get on with their lives. There's still probably another week or 2 before the rig is ready, so we moved over to a hotel that has a kitchenette so at least we can cook our own meals.Mitch started his new job on Monday (he has been an IT field technician, doing anything from repairing POS systems to installing nationwide networks). Unfortunately, work has been very unreliable (he hasn't had a gig in months) and needed to find something else to do to bring in some money (no, we are not retired yet; we do both need to work). He found something a few months ago -- inspecting gas pipelines. The company was specifically looking for full-time RV'ers as they have work all over the country. It seemed like a good opportunity so he applied and was accepted.
The training started this week and so far it's been pretty brutal. The job requires a LOT of walking (could be up to 10 miles a day, in all types of weather, heat and cold). He leaves at 6:30 in the morning and doesn't get back until almost 5pm. So far, it's not something he enjoys at all, but a job is a job and you gotta do what you gotta do. I just hope that he can stick it out long enough to adjust to a routine. I think once we find our rhythm, it will be fine. I mean, it's a big adjustment for me as well. For one, I'll be totally alone all day - no one to take my walks with, no one to take a day off with and "play", and mostly being stuck at home or at the campground because I have no way to get around since he's using the only vehicle we have.
But I've always said there's a reason for everything and for every problem there's a solution. As I said, I'm sure once we find our rhythm, it will all work out just fine. We just have to get through this transition, which seems much more difficult than our transition from a sticks & bricks to full time RVing!
I really feel for you. John and I tried full time RVing when we still had to work and found it much more difficult than we had fantasized it would be. After 2 years we decided it wasn't worth the negatives and decided to go back to "real life" with steady jobs and a permanent address.
ReplyDeleteNow we are going to do it again, but with adequate income and as retirees so we can really be free to go wherever we want.
Not to be a Donna Downer but I think reality is much different than what you probably imagined this life would be like. I know it was for us.
I think Howard and Linda are the exception rather than the rule of how to successfully earn a living and have the freedom that RVing full time offers.
The challenge isn't so much earning a living (which we have to face whether we're permanent or on the road; and fortunately our careers lend themselves well to being on the road). The challenge is all these repairs we've needed and having to be homeless and displaced while it's getting done.
ReplyDeleteCheryl I hear you. I was thinking more along the lines of your husbands new job and having to go where he job is and being stuck in an RV park all day with no vehicle available to you.
ReplyDeleteI really hope it all works out and you can get back in your home soon.