Our host was busy with his own stuff until almost 3:00 pm today so we got a really late start with our lessons. I wasn't ready at all to take the wheel yet. Mitch did a really GREAT job driving and making turns. In fact, we got stuck in a torrential, flash flood type of storm (it was sunny when we left the driveway 10 minutes earlier). He needs to get used to the brakes, but overall he was very comfortable with it.
Packing up and then setting up again is a real pain, but in time I'm sure we'll develop a good routine. Still, so much work that needs to be done to make sure everything is safe before taking it on the road.
We found an almost empty parking lot to practice in. While driving and turns were good, backing up was a disaster! We just could not get it to go in the direction we wanted and we couldn't figure out how to communicate with each other about it either. It will take A LOT of practice getting it right.
We still need to get the roof resealed. The earliest Kevin's guy can do it is the end of next week, and he's about 2 hours south, on the east coast. Mindy and Sharon are on the west coast. Fortunately, we've been given permission to stay until Sunday so I have a little more time to figure out revised plans for next week.
Oh how I remember those early days of trying to help John back in our trailer. It WILL COME....it just takes patience and practice. John now does it without any help. I just stand at the spot where we want the driver's side back corner of the 5th wheel to be. I still don't have the courage to back it up so heaven forbid someday John can't do it.
ReplyDeleteWe've got it down to 30" teardown or setup...you will too.
This is all part of the journey, so relax and enjoy. I'm very excited for you.