Tuesday, January 15, 2019

More about the campground and the area - Day 1664 (Year 5, Day 195)

Zephyrhills, FL

First, about the area.  I'm disappointed that there are very few, if any, palm trees.  I guess I'm not far enough south.  There are plenty of oaks with Spanish moss.

As I mentioned yesterday, the park only has 30 sites.  It's in a huge circle, with sites around the perimeter and in the middle of the circle (we're in the middle).  Most residents are permanent and their trailers appear old and worn.  That seems to be the appearance of the entire area of Zephyrhills, other than the shopping area.  There seem to be lots of trailer parks (most saying 55+) which all look old and tired.  This appears to be an economically depressed area.  But then again, right now we are in that financial boat too and it's all we can afford.

The folks to our right (Joe and Chris) are actually renting 2 lots (they've been here for 4 years).  On 1 1/2 lots, they have a huge garden where they are growing lots of crops.  I'm told they are being grown for the Meals on Wheels program.  They are also raising chickens and roosters; they have 8 of them, which we hear clucking quite often.  I hope they'll share the eggs with us (after I offer to buy some).

Across from our site are woods.  I'm told there's a lot of wildlife there, including turtles, foxes and rattlesnakes, as well as hawks and owls.  There are plenty of molehills in the dirt on the sites (I'm sure the owls never go hungry!)

Photos:  garden next door, woods in front, view from back




We've only met 3 of our neighbors, and whenever they see us outside doing work, they're right there to lend a hand.  I hope today or tomorrow we'll have a chance to walk around the circle and perhaps meet other neighbors.

As for weather here, I'm told we're in a cold spell, as it's only in the 40s and 50s.  Still better than 20s and 30s, though, and no snow!  I still need the heat and fireplace though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.