Clarksville, IN / Louisville, KY
Yom Kippur, which was this past Friday night and Saturday was, like the Rosh Hashanah services, very inspiring and spiritually uplifting, albeit very grueling (6 hours of prayer services, followed by a 3 hour break, followed by another 2.5 hours, all while fasting). I do, however, feel cleansed of sin and starting with a fresh slate.Immediately after Yom Kippur starts the next holiday of Sukkot. I have a more detailed explanation of the holiday last year: http://mitcheryl-rv-journey.blogspot.com/2016/10/sukkot-day-851-yr-3-day-118.html and, of course, you can Google it for more information and insights. Briefly, it is a holiday where we are commanded to live in booths to commemorate our ancestors living in booths while traveling in the desert. I found this video by Mayim Bialek which I found very moving, and it really expresses the purpose of the sukkah better than I could: https://www.facebook.com/MissMayim/videos/10159475657410008/
Anyway, this is the 2nd year we were able to build our tiny sukkah. Out of all the things I miss most about our "sticks & bricks" home in NJ was our sukkah which could accommodate about 20 people; now we can barely fit 2. But you "gotta do what you gotta do," and living Jewishly on the road can sometimes be a challenge (by the way, if you're a Jewish traveler, I have a Facebook page which you're welcome to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/646939988745374/ or search for "Jews on Wheels")
Anyway, here are some photos of Mitch building the sukkah (I helped in the background, handing him stuff) and the finished product, all decorated. As a reminder, our sukkah was the one created for a promotional video, which climbed a high mountain in Colorado. I like to think that it shares it's own experiences and views of the landscape with us each time we build it. Here are it's experiences (once again, here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KnmqT-67P8)
You
Now decorated (I didn't realize, until I posted these pics, how transparent the tarp was! You really can't see the background while inside it).

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.