Bismarck, ND
Obviously, I haven't been out and about very much yet. Last night, we went "exploring" -- finding the closest stores, which are up the road between 1 mile (supermarket = Dan's) and 5 miles (Walmart, Sam's Club). Not a lot of restaurants in the area, and the ones that are here, don't have the same types of vegetarian choices on their menus as Asheville (or Raleigh, or FL, or NJ). We did visit the supermarket and, although it was a very large place, we were horribly disappointed in their lack of vegetarian options. Nothing by Morningstar Farms, Boca, or Quorn. No Tofurkey or LiteLife products. Absolutely nothing that we normally purchase as our protein. Later this week we will visit Walmart and hope they have a bigger selection, otherwise we're really screwed! Come to think of it, I didn't even take a look at their fresh fish dept - did they even have one? Unfortunately, it is the ONLY supermarket within driving distance, so we'll need to make do from there. Veggies were extremely expensive. Farmers markets open in June, so hopefully we'll find one relatively nearby and get good produce at good prices.As for the area, still haven't really gotten too far, but from what I see, there is just so much open space. Still much to be developed, and what is here, looks relatively new (within the last 5-10 years). Not as many strip malls and housing developments, but there are some and it looks like it's just a matter of time. I've seen photos and a webcam from the local tv station of the downtown area, and it's very small and open (at least compared to the other major downtown areas we've visited such as Raleigh and Asheville). All the roads are pretty new and a pleasure to drive on.
The campground at the moment is almost completely empty and therefore a pleasure to walk around. I hope to take pictures over the next few days (rain in the forecast tomorrow so may not be able to get to that for a few days). Of course, I expect a mad house when busy season arrives.
One thing of note (not sure if I'll be able to get a photo)... the state bird is the Western Meadowlark. I actually saw a small, yellow bird and discovered it was this meadowlark. Also saw a few black birds (need to identify - crows?) and a robin. May have seen a few bluejays, but not really sure. I'd love to develop a new hobby of birding!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.