Asheville, NC
This week has been very stressful with regard to the laptops. I thought it was a matter of just taking it out of the box, pressing a few buttons, and viola, it's ready. Nope; especially not when you're working with an IT professional. For one thing, he needed to replace the router (which required a lot of rewiring of the RV) because the new ones weren't up to date with what we had. There's just so much technical mumbo jumbo that's beyond me to understand, so you'll just have to accept that this has been a major undertaking, trying to get my new machine up & running. One of the things holding us back is that Mitch wants to migrate my old machine to the new one, but the system he needs to make the backup also crapped out (Jess - if you're reading this, we need to take the UPS's back). Bottom line is that, although Mitch told me to hold off, the ONLY way I could get any work done is by starting over. At least I was able to get the critical work files off the old hard drive. Personal stuff I'll just either need to recreate from scratch or wait until Mitch has more time to fix the problem.Meanwhile, it's been a major stress event for me because of the clutter. He's working on about 4 machines at once, so there are all kinds of cables, wires and components laying out on every inch of free space (counters, tables, chairs, floor). You know my OCD kicks in when there's a single paper clip out of place, so you can imagine what it's been like living like this all week. I'm especially freaking out right now because we're having a guest for Shabbat dinner tonight (I already warned her about the mess; she's going thru a difficult time and I thought it was more important to give her a little respite and a warm shoulder than worry about having her sit on cables). That's a really big step for me, although I'm still freaking out.
We didn't get to the bluegrass music on Tuesday because that's the day the laptops arrived and Mitch only has a limited number of hours after work that he can deal with this. We do have plans on Sunday -- the Jewish festival and then the community theater (Young Frankenstein).
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.