Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Medical & job updates - Day 2069 (Year 6, Day 240)

Zephyrhills, FL

On the medical front, regarding my hip: saw the doctor yesterday (as a reminder: I have severe bone on bone arthritis.  I've been holding off on doing anything about it since we arrived in FL since Mitch was looking for a job.  Although we've been here for over a year, we've been spending our time wondering whether the next week would be the one where he gets an offer and we need to relocate.  So I was hesitant to make a long term commitment to care).  But since things have finally sort of worked out (that we'd be in this area), it was time to finally get the wheels in motion.

Unfortunately, this doctor is extremely cautious and advised that he wouldn't touch me until I lost at least 40 pounds (on a great note: since I've been on the keto diet for the last 2 months, I'm down 11 pounds).  So figure at this rate, maybe another 6-8 months.  Certainly, I can get a 2nd and 3rd opinion and find a doctor who's willing to do this now, but I appreciate the reasons he gave: surgery of any kind on an obese patient really does have extreme risks.  Meanwhile, he recommended more exercise, and possible physical therapy.  Sadly, most movements, especially anything involving moving my hips such as lifting my leg (for stairs or my step stool to get into the truck), bending, or even lifting the toilet pedal, is excruciating. Guess I've lived with it this long enough, I'll suffer for a few months longer.  Need to rely on my cane to get around more and I got a temporary handicap sticker so I don't need to hike at the stores.   Will use our pedaler and try to take more walks a bit more often, despite the pain.  It is what it is.  Doctor suggested a shot for temporary pain relief but I refused based on the pain I experienced getting a shot for my knee (also bone on bone).  Mitch is totally against my decision, claiming (and he's right!) that I'm too wimpy-- choosing not to experience a minute or 2 of extreme pain versus who knows how long relief (then again, there's no guarantee the shot will even work).  I do reserve the right to change my mind and get a shot in the interim.

Meanwhile, on the job front.... last posting said that Mitch finally, after 1 year+, got a job.  He was fired after 2.5 days, which actually was a good thing.  It was not at all a good match.  Besides the fact that he needed to get up at 5:00 am to leave by 5:30 am, drive 1.5 hours to the job site to arrive by 7am, work at least 11 hours and not arrive home until almost 8pm (and to do this 6 days a week!), he was under the impression the job would be IT related. Turns out it was predominantly construction, not something he has experience in or is interested in.  If they didn't let him go due to his lack of construction experience, he surely would have quit.  Just wasn't the right fit.

On a more positive note, however, there were several positions that were very interested in him back in November-ish.  Last week he got calls from 3 of those companies who were finally ready to move forward; one of which was more than extremely promising.  They were ready to hire him but he needs to pass a written (online) test first, then background and drug tests.  He took the written test yesterday; we're awaiting the results. If he passed, then the job is his. 

I hope to update this post tomorrow!  Please send your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Mitch says.. yes I was made an offer for a second position.
    This one is essentially what I've been doing for the past years, as a systems engineer...
    And it's at a higher pay rate then the job that lasted three days!!!! And it comes with a company car!!!
    Those who've been following us know Cheryl hates to be stranded without a car as I'm on the road

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.