Zephyrhills, FL
Halfway through the first day, he's already determined that he totally dislikes this job as it's totally mindless (very similar to what he did for the past few years when he inspected the gas lines). He would much prefer a job where he can utilize his intellectual skills, but alas, it's the first job offer he's had in over a year and it pays well, so you gotta do what you gotta do. Tomorrow he will bring a headset so he can listen to podcasts while he works, to make it a bit more palatable. To remind us both -- we've eaten up 85% of our lifetime savings this past year so this job is really important to replenish the funds.
He did make it clear that he cannot work on Saturdays (boss has no problem with that), but he will probably need to work 10+ hours a day on all the other days. We shall see once he gets the schedule. This, of course, means a very large change in our routine that we've become accustomed to this past year: I start making dinner at 5:00; we eat at 5:30-6 in front of the tv where we watch stuff that we've downloaded, until 8:30. Then we do our own stuff on the computers until about 9pm, at which point we go to bed and play on our respective tablets until we fall asleep (about 1/2 hr later).
Last night, Mitch went into bed at 8:00pm as he set his alarm for 4:30am and left home at 5:30am (he needed to be at work by 7 and it's an hour commute. He left some extra time for his daily prayers). So who knows what our daily time together will be. But we will adapt.
Plans are always made in bubbles, but here's what I would love to plan for: I found a very nice place, only 8 miles from the shul (compared to the current 18) and at least 1/2 hour closer commute for Mitch (in Land O'Lakes, FL) but they don't have openings until after April (due to snowbirds). It's right on Lake Padgett and a very lovely place; can't wait to move there! Since we'll be there for at least a year, maybe we can buy a cheap car (and sell or donate it when we're ready to move) so I have a way to get around. Most importantly, I can finally make plans to get my hip replaced as it's gotten to the point where it's very painful to just lift my leg to climb steps, let alone anything else. I've been holding off all this time because for the last year+, we've always been living thinking that next week could be the time Mitch gets a job offer and we may need to move so I can't make the commitment for the hospital, rehab and therapy. At least now we have a plan so I can proceed. My appt with a surgeon is next week.
Next week (President's Day weekend), Jess and Griffin have generously decided to spend the time and money to come down to FL for the long weekend to visit with us. Last time we saw them was last November for our vow renewals in Jamaica. We'll only have all day Sunday and 3/4 of the day Monday to spend together, but better than nothing. Can't wait!
Other than that, I expect that I won't be posting very much in the near future. The purpose of this blog was to keep friends & family informed of our whereabouts and for me, as a journal of our adventures since my memory isn't all that great. But I expect that other than an adventure here or there, it will "a day in the life", with Mitch out at work and me at my computer, also at work, with nothing really interesting enough in between to report.
In other words, I believe, at least for the time being, although we have been "full time travelers", that title no longer applies since we'll be static in the same place for at least a year (as we have been this last year). Not exactly the plan when we chose this lifestyle, but I have faith that we're exactly where we're meant to be at this point in our lives and pray that we have the guidance to make the most of it.
Congratulations to Mitch on the job! Will be nice when you can move closer in. Was just really happy to see that things for you are moving forward again. Best of luck moving forward! It just seems to me that it was only a short time ago that you were posting in the Dreamer forum getting your start and here it is years later, where does the time go?
ReplyDeleteWe've followed your journey from the start.One thing is for sure- life is full of twists and turns. Although we may have our own ideas about where it will take us the good Lord often may have something different in mind for us. Best wishes to you and Mitch and please continue to keep us posted periodically.
ReplyDelete