Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Tires, but not much else - Day 1303 (Year 4, Day 208)

Williamsburg, VA

I do wish I could post lots of photos of fun places we've been to, but life is "a day in the life" and nothing at all exciting.

We have not been going to shul lately because the services just don't seem to warrant the 1/2 hour schlep (and construction zone stress).  For the past 2 weekends, we also haven't gone out to explore because I just didn't feel like going out in the cold.

Mitch has had lots of time off since the last posting due to the weather - lots of snow.  It finally melted and he was able to return for a day or 2, but now there's another storm.  He worked today, but I'm sure he'll be off again tomorrow.  I'm not sure how much comfort I find in the fact that most of the country, including the southern states such as TX and FL, are also experiencing this severe winter weather, so I don't feel as terrible not being assigned there.

Regarding the tires, since the last post, he had another flat tire, also most likely due to the ditch incident.  This week has cost us about $700 in tires.  We also needed to replace a monitoring sensor which was lost in the ditch.  Sigh.  I suppose it could still be a lot worse.

I'm also starting to feel isolated and lonely.  Although I have nice neighbors, I'm not comfortable just knocking on their doors to say hi (although I'm gearing up to do that.  In fact, as I write this, I think tomrrow I may go to Nancy/Steve on the left and Carol Leigh/Chuck/Janice on the right and set something up for all of us to just hang out.  Be nice to do over a campfire but it's way too cold for that).  Due to the harsh cold, I have had no inclination to take my daily walk in sub-freezing temps (I still don't own a heavy winter coat). I have "hitch itch" already, although it does look like we'll be here until March.

1 comment:

  1. I know how the feeling can be, especially in cold weather. Maybe you could pick up a heavy jacket at a thrift shop then just drop it back off when it gets warmer? It's good to get out even if it's just a short walk. Fresh air always infuses the soul. A get together with neighbors sounds fun too! March will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.