Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Medical update - Day 2082 (Year 6, Day 253)

Zephyrhills, FL

First, Mitch officially starts his new job with NCR on Monday, March 9th.  It couldn't come at a better time as we're at the limit of the credit card and have just incurred close to $8K in new medical bills (explanation below).

I have been suffering greatly for almost 2 weeks now with excruciating pain in my upper back (from shoulder blade, horizontally outwards, and down my arm to below my elbow).  Pain level is mostly at 10 on the scale (lowest has been about 8) and is just about 24/7 and doesn't matter if I'm at rest or moving.

I went to Urgent Care on 2/26 where the PA I saw didn't even examine me.  He asked where the pain was and when I showed him, he immediately diagnosed torticollis, gave me a steroid shot, and rx of Prednisone and muscle relaxants and recommended Tylenol.  When I got home and looked this up, I think he pulled that diagnosis out of his tush as it didn't even come close to my symptoms.  Naturally, none of this helped (and Tylenol never does anything for me, ever!  I don't think my body can absorb it).

In any event, by Sunday (3/1), I was still screaming in pain.  A nurse friend suggested it could be cardiac related and I should go to the ER instead of trying to get an appt with my doctor (and at the risk that he'd recommend a different dr and I'd get bounced around for a few weeks).  So, I took the advice and got a full work-up at the ER.

Thank G-d, cardiac was ruled out (they did chest xray and CT Scan).  The diagnosis was that (in addition to the bone on bone arthritis in my hip and knee), I also have arthritis on my spine which is currently causing a pinched nerve, which explains the pain.  I was given a medication for nerve pain as well as 2 different pain pills (1 narcotic but only 9 pills total so that's not for the long term). 

Although I am still in great pain, I do see a slight improvement.   For example, when taking the meds, the pain level goes from a 10 to about a 6 (although it only lasts about 2 hrs max).  I also slept thru the night last night for the first time in almost 2 weeks rather than waking in the wee hours in pain (although I was screaming in pain when I did get up).

I have an appt with my doctor on Monday (3/9) so we can discuss next steps: chiropractor, orthopedist, PT, other??  Meanwhile, just need to keep taking the meds, heating pad and resting as much as possible.  Not doing too much client work (I'm so far behind right now but they are very understanding that I'm only working on time critical items right now, in between meds when I'm at the 6 pain level (which is now as I'm writing this post instead of working).  But the pain has crept back up so I'm going to cut this short now and go back to bed.

Just one other item I need to watch for... the CT scan revealed 2 other things: a hiatal hernia and nodules on my adrenal glands.  Dr. said nothing to panic about but I should definitely talk to my dr. about it.  So watch this space for future updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.