Thursday, July 11, 2019

Mitch in Reno - Day 1842 (Year 6, Day 16)

Zephyrhills, FL

Mitch is still seeking employment in the IT field.  He gets lots of initial interviews but nothing has jelled yet for anything full time.

Interestingly, he got a call around noon on Tuesday.  There was a need to install a computer system at a military base in Reno, Nevada -- can he be there tomorrow (Wednesday)?!!!  When he got the call, he was with me at the doctor's office, so it just wasn't possible logistically.  He left on Wed. at 6:00 am and is expected to return at 6 am on Friday!  The flights they arranged for him really suck big time (3 stops on the way over, and red-eye returning).

Who knows -- maybe this company has nationwide contracts and can keep us traveling?  We shall see what happens next.  But at least, it's a few $ in our pocket.

I have to admit this (being apart) is new to me.  Whenever one of us has gone out of town on business, it has always been me (to the UK 3 times, San Antonio recently).  But this is the first time I'm left at home and Mitch is away.  Thankfully, during the day, I have a lot of work which distracts me, but the evenings are a little hard as it throws me off the routine.  For example, I'm not making fancy dinners (just throwing up veggie burgers in the microwave) and not making it to be ready by 6 so we can go to sleep by 9.  Can't watch our usual "tv" stuff (which is downloaded) because I shouldn't get ahead, so watching real tv or YouTube.

Was having a hard time figuring out what to do for Shabbat.  I don't want to invite myself to the rabbi as I don't want to sleep over and I can't drive at night.  Can't see myself making a special meal, baking challah, even setting the table for myself alone.  So I invited a friend to join me to give me an excuse.

Meanwhile, looks like Mitch may have a lot of extra time on his hand over the weekend and the day he returns home (11:00 pm flight) so he has the chance to explore the area of Reno/Lake Tahoe.  I sure do hope he takes advantage and takes lots of pictures and maybe even journals stuff.  MITCH --- I invite you to put a post here to record Reno!

1 comment:

  1. I hope this trip develops into something more permanent. Would be great to be able to travel with a really good job. Your reaction sounds just like mine when I get time alone. Peanut butter sandwich or cereal became the main meal and time goes slowly. I just had 2 days alone for the first time in decades. All that time to fill. I cleaned the clothes closet and bagged some stuff for the thrift shop. I have forgotten what someone might do if they had time to themselves. Prayers and thoughts are with you and Mitch. You are due for something great to happen!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.