Sunday, July 16, 2017

What we did this weekend - Day 1118 (Year 4, Day 23)

Washington, NC

I wish I could write posts like a few of my previous ones, or like those of some of my RV peers - with nothing but fun and excitement and beautiful photos.  But alas, this is not a full time vacation and often we have nothing much to report on.

The truck is still mostly out of commission.  It can be driven locally, but the mechanic (who can't get to it until later in the week) advised strongly against driving it beyond about 10 miles, which means local trips only**.  At least we're not totally stuck and can get to the supermarket which is about 3 miles away.

** Mitch continues to carpool with Kenny into Greenville, 25 miles away.  Unfortunately, Kenny had to return home to PA this weekend and won't be back until Tuesday.  We did the math and renting a car for 2 days will cost more than Mitch will earn, so it's cheaper for him to take the time off without pay).

Saturday actually did have a few interesting hours.  Paul (RV tech, who owns a large pontoon boat: recall he was going to take us out on the river to watch the July 4th fireworks but cancelled at the last minute due to the forecasted storms) came by at 12:30 (I was reading, Mitch was napping) and said that he was taking the boat out at 1:00 and invited us to join him.  We excitedly agreed, and we met him at the boat dock at the appointed time with drinks and snacks in the cooler.  We had a very lovely time with him and his wife Linda.  I can't say I was super impressed by the scenery, although it was extremely serene and relaxing; just nothing spectacular or picture-worthy.  Mostly a lot of trees with a few nice homes along the bank (and a few ratty ones as well). Still, it was very nice to be on the river and spending time with new-found friends.  We appreciate every opportunity we have to go out on a river or lake with friends (or being able to rent a boat on our own; owning one is out of the question).  We did get to see a few trees where beavers made their marks, and lots of large fish jumping.

Today (Sunday) was far less relaxing or exciting.  We went shopping for groceries in the morning (we were going to stop first for breakfast, but the only place that had choices on the menu I could have, we couldn't find a place to park so we had to abort).  Afterwards, I spend the day doing a deep-dive cleaning - getting to all the nooks and crannies that had been neglected and scrubbing, dusting and vacuuming everything.  I would still love to get to all the woodwork, but most of that is beyond my reach.  At least the place has a nice sparkle once again.  Anyone want to come visit?!!! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.