Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Big Baby, Wimpy Wuss - Day 1096 (Year 3, Day 363)

Washington, NC

I am very sad, ashamed and embarrassed to admit I'm talking about myself.  It has always been a lifelong problem of mine to go outside of my physical comfort zone due to fear of getting hurt; sometimes realistically but often imagined.  After I fell once ice skating (10 years old), I would never try it again.  I will not ride roller coasters or any amusement park ride beyond the ferris wheel.  Even on the carousel, I sit on the bench.  I need to use a step stool to climb into my truck, as I fear the distance is too far and I may fall or twist myself (and dislocate my hip) if I try to jump down (it's too high to step).

That being said, we wanted to go out and explore a little today.  There is an estuarium nearby (where the river meets the sea) and they offer a free boat ride down the river (in addition to a little museum).  Here are a few photos:

     

At departure time, we went down the ramp to the boat, with the other 8 people.  I absolutely freaked out by the distance from the dock onto the boat.  I'd say it was at least twice the distance of the truck.  Not to mention that the boat was moving and at least 2-3 feet away.  I was such a wuss and refused to go, despite the captain and Mitch offering to help.  I tried to convince Mitch to go without me (since it was his idea to begin with), but he refused.  We landed up going to Dollar Tree and Walmart and then back home.

On a more positive note, the folks Mitch will be working with arrived yesterday (Kenny, his wife Shannon, their daughter Lily and puggle (cross between a pug and beagle) Kipper.  Kenny wasn't home yet, but I had a lovely conversation with Shannon.  I look forward to spending time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.