Sunday, January 8, 2017

New location - Day 929 (Year 3, Day 196)

Bastrop, TX

Wow, I didn't realize I hadn't written for almost a week; it's been pretty busy.  For this post, I will relate my travels and observances about where we are now, although I know I promised to write about our trip to NASA, which will be in an upcoming post, once I can find the time to upload the photos.

Bastrop, TX is the midway point between Houston and San Antonio, and is about 25 miles east of Austin, where Mitch will be working in the field.  As stated in previous posts, we couldn't find a campground with long term availability any closer, although we'll keep trying.  Unfortunately, the closest synagogue is in downtown Austin and it's a bit too much of a schlep to go there on Shabbat, but we'll play it by ear; maybe going once a month, or at least once or twice.

We left Houston on Thursday (Jan. 5th) at about 8:00 am.  We got up and started the road-readying process at 7 and expected to be ready to leave between 9 and 9:30.  We were surprised and pleased that we have the routine down to a science now, and it took us only about an hour!

The distance was about 120 miles, and we arrived at our new campground (KOA Bastrop/Colorado River) at 11:00.  I did the driving and there were no stops along the way.  Weather was fair -- there was a bit of drizzle for about 70% of the trip, and no traffic except for leaving Houston.  With help, it took us over an hour to get into the site, mostly because there was a tree with overhanging branches in the way.  Finally, the owner came and sawed off the branches, and then it took 5 minutes to back in.

Overall, I'm not very impressed with this place, although it has a lot of potential and is probably much nicer during the summer.  There's a nice pool/spa area (closed until April) and the Colorado River is at the end of the road.  There's a sitting area and fishing deck, but they are overrun by weeds and impossible to do anything at.  Out of our window, I see an open field, also overrun by weeds, so there is absolutely nothing aesthetically pleasing to look at, which is something I enjoy when working or walking.  At least the road around the campground is asphalt, so I can ride my urb-e up to the office (although it's a shorter distance than the last campground in Houston, so I can push myself to walk there instead).

We did our first grocery shopping in the area at an H.E.B. (a large Texas chain).  We went to one in Houston and were very disappointed, as it was small and very Hispanic oriented.  This one was quite the opposite -- almost like a Whole Foods and Target combined!  We fell in love with the place!

Unfortunately, when we returned from shopping, we discovered we had yet another flat tire, but nothing we could do about it then.  Mitch spent most of this morning (Sunday) filling it with air, but being unsuccessful (he thinks it's a broken seal), we called roadside assistance to put on the spare.  Tomorrow, hopefully, we'll find a tire store that can repair it.  Meanwhile, it's 12:30.  Mitch has some stuff to finish up and we were hoping to go into the historical downtown area to explore.  Specifically, we want to go to the Visitor's Center/Museum and the Colorado Winery, which is around the corner from there.  Bastrop actually does have a lot to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.