Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Visiting NYC - Day 1511 (Year 5, Day 51)

Bronx, NY

I don't recall if I had mentioned that I was planning this trip, which was arranged about a month ago.  I learned that I had a lot of unredeemed points on my cash rewards credit card and it was just barely enough to redeem for airfare to NY.  I have many friends & family to see, but unfortunately time and travel logistics doesn't make it possible.  The main part of the trip was to spend time with my dad and step-mother here in the Bronx, as well as to spend some time with my sister-in-law in Manhattan.  That was originally going to be an overnight, but as it turns out, she was in the hospital and is being released from rehab while I'm in town, so it works out that I will spend a few days getting her settled in.

I had to leave from the Atlanta airport which is 150 miles and 3 hours away.  My flight was at 10:30, so I had to leave at 4:30 am (took a shuttle van service there).  Atlanta is the largest airport in the US and from the main entrance to my gate I must have walked at least 2-3 miles if not more.  Then from the gate to the exit of JFK was also about the same distance, although they did have people movers in some areas. (recall I have arthritis and bursitis in my hip which prevents me from walking more than 5 minutes before needing to stop.  It was very difficult and I am still very sore today and having an even harder time getting around).  But gotta keep moving....

I am not totally off work, and this morning was very busy.  Fortunately I was able to quit around 1pm.  We went out to lunch at a very lovely Italian restaurant across the street, then afterwards Selma and I went into "town" to get her phone fixed.  Then we stopped at one of her favorite clothing stores, had coffee, picked up some fresh fish for dinner and returned home.  I'm exhausted!

1 comment:

  1. Nice that you could be there. I know how nice that is as we had to rush home from OR as my dad had emergency suergery and we stayed a month to help out. He did amazingly well and we left yesterday. I hope your sis in law recoups well. Hope you had a nice visit with your dad too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.